Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cracking good cheese *

In the last two posts I was talking about all the work I have / want to do with cat art and architectural renderings. And then what do I do? Draw cheese.


(please click this to see it full size)


These are Parmigiano Reggiano rinds. Aren't they lovely? The cheese itself is probably my favorite. I grew up on that powdery stuff in the green can that most Americans eat because they don't know any better. It wasn't until I moved to San Francisco and was exposed to all good things that I discovered this food of the gods.




You should have seen me at Whole Foods when I found these in a little tub. You can buy the cheese shaved, or grated, or in whole chunks of various weights and sizes. But this was the first time I'd ever seen rinds for sale. Most (normal) people use these to flavor stews or soups or sauces, but of course I immediately thought of a drawing! (And then I stood there and looked at all the little tubs, picking each one up and turning it around, trying to get a good look at exactly what was inside, to see which one had the best pieces. I do this with the produce too, and always wonder what the people on the security cameras are thinking as they watch me.)




This drawing is 8 x 10 inches (20.32 x 25.4 cm) on Stonehenge paper. I used Polychromo and Coloursoft colored pencils. Mostly Coloursofts, because the soft leads helped me build up the slightly grainy texture I was going for. A nice Caput Mortuum Polychromo did most of the work for the lettering. All in all I used a dozen different colored pencils to render this.

I'll have the original and prints available in my etsy shop soon.

I found this interesting article about the rinds and all the info that's stamped on the cheese.

* what is cracking good cheese ?

* * * * * *

Downton Abbey is back!! (here in the US, anyway) I'm reading The Real Life Downton Abbey right now, which is all about how people really lived back in Downton times, both above and below stairs. It goes into detail about rules, duties, salaries and lots of other nitty gritty details. I'm loving it.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your cheese drawings. Isn't that funny how our head tells us we're going to go this direction with our art, and our heart has a whole different idea when we sit down at the drawing board. I bet the cats and architecture stuff is still brewing and not quite ready to come to the surface yet, but it will!

Leslie Hawes said...

Wow. The article about the 'documentation' on the rind of the cheese is most informative.
I love your 'foody' drawings.

Sarah Melling said...

Love these... They're so much fun: food and typography all in one! I chuckled at your description of sifting through the pieces looking for your "models". I get strange looks for doing that in the produce department. My husband has learned to ask, as he stands before the refrigerator, "Is this ( insert name of fruit or veg of your choice) for us to eat or for a drawing?"