Sunday, July 11, 2010

From the kitchen this week

More in the new style ~









I'm having so much FUN. And this, compared to tight colored pencil work, is like comparing a Lamborghini to a horse and buggy. I still love a good old fashioned horse and buggy ride, don't get me wrong - but a spin in a fast Italian sports car gets your juices flowing. And you get there faster.

I've always wanted to incorporate more actual drawing into my work, but couldn't figure out how to do it. This is freeing me up a lot, and I have about a billion ideas of what I want to do. So stay tuned for more of the new 'me'.


My "Twix Mini" piece is just about packed up and ready to go off to Los Gatos for the CPSA show. It will get FedExed tomorrow. Here it is in its nifty crate.



And I can't leave without sharing a kitty pic. Here is my neighbor's kitty who comes to visit and have a nosh every day. She even uses the litter box! Then she goes back home. I don't know what it is about my house that makes all the cats lie on their backs with their feet in the air like this. Cuz I don't do this (just in case you were wondering).



Ciao ~

11 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Looks like a yummy week in the kitchen! I love cornbread! :-)

You are obviously having a lot of fun with this new work! Yeah for the sports car!!

And the time for CPSA shipping has come...my shipment has already arrived in California and the delivery dude will be banging on the gallery door in the morning. Tracking systems are great! LOL

Vicki Greene said...

Paula I certainly love your ultra realistic pieces but this recent work looks like so much fun! Your way of explaining it is great too!

"JeanneG" said...

I love cornbread too but seem to choke every time I eat it. Love, love, love the story of the neighbor cat.

Jennifer Rose said...

really liking the new style :D

CC said...

LOVE your fresh new work!
Is it just PS for color? Or are
you drawing in PS as well?

Whatever, its delightful. You are so talented. Some one needs to send you a nice cookbook to illustrate.

As for the visiting neighbor cat - what a hoot!! I can't counter this. My boys live on the 37th flr. in a hi rise condo and not many neighbor cats can do elevators. ;-)

Laura Zarrin said...

I love the new style! I agree about breaking out of the l color pencil tightness and letting lose once in awhile! Where in Los Gatos is the show?

spina said...

Love, love, love the new style! Me being a vegetarian, it all looks like DINNER to me. And it does look fun to do. Good for you. Life is short; play hard, have as much FUN as you can possibly squeeze in! And the neighbor cat is crazy funny. It's all those 'good vibes' in your house, Paula. She's sucking them all up through her back!! Still struggling to catch up on email responses. It's definitely summer around here (summer being the busiest time at my job). Keep having fun with the veggies and the cats!

Melissa B. Tubbs said...

Love the new work! Maybe I need to find something quicker that I can throw in between pen-and-ink drawings?!?!

Cats obviously feel completely safe and at home with you. That's probably why they are all willing to turn their most vulnerable sides up at your house.

Connie McLennan said...

I will be so curious to see where this new style takes you.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Oh these are wonderful sketches and I love the idea of combining real with digital. Funily enough I enjoy going back to digital as a change from the tightness of pencil and watercolour work too.

That font you use with the sketches is perfect - which is it please?

Paula Pertile said...

Thanks everyone!

Gillian, the font is hand lettering - just me 'typing it out' letter by letter, in my own hand. Thanks for the compliment though!