Thursday, May 08, 2014

Skies


I finished this house portrait the other day. What a lovely house.


It got me thinking about skies. I do them all different - depending on the house or building, and I guess what mood I'm in. Sometimes a certain kind of sky just goes with a building - some are light, some strong, some have no clouds, some have lots, some are pretty blah, some more dramatic, etc.


 Take this one for example. The house was white, so I really beefed up the sky. 




But then this was was a white house too, and look what I did here.




This was an all brick building.




Palm trees!




Evidently cookies call for drama.




Moody.




Very ... controlled.





 Washy.




Muted.




There's a storm a comin'. . .





Clouds.



I could do the same thing for grass - sometimes I make it really really green, other times less so. I've never had a client complain - I guess my gut instincts are doing OK. But it has me half thinking that I should offer people options for the 'mood' or feel of their drawing. 

Sky: Happy pretty light blue. Intense blue. Lots of clouds. No clouds. Dramatic clouds. Wistful clouds.
Grass: Astro turf green. Mellow green grass. Needs a little water. We're having a drought, no one has a green lawn anymore. 
(OK that last one would be a little too on the nose for us Californians.) 


Today I'm doing a Snickers bar for a client. Will post that one next.





No comments: