Monday, April 28, 2014

Berry horn and house portrait


More food and houses!

I just can't seem to resist a nice pastry. This is a little Svenhard's Berry Horn. They come individually wrapped in cello, in an assorted mix. Of course I picked the most colorful one to draw (there are also Cheese Horns, Raisin Snails, Cinnamon Rolls, and Breakfast Claws). I'm fascinated by the names of these things. 


Berry Horn     8" x 8" (20.32 x 20.32 cm)
Polychromo colored pencils on Fabriano Artistico Hot Press paper

When I was a kid my parents loved to go to bakeries and coffee shops, to sit at the counter with a donut and cup of coffee and chit-chat with people (this is back in the olden days, pre-internet). So I spent a lot of time with donuts and pastries (and bad, weak coffee shop coffee, which I still abhor). 

One time I ordered "a coconut donut", and the waitress brought a "Coke and a donut". Well, that became a 'thing', and I ordered that every time to see what I'd get, until I wore that joke out.

 

I did this drawing about 2 times larger than life. Prints and the original are in my etsy shop.




I also just finished another house portrait commission. This one is black and white, which I love doing.
Most people do pen and ink for black and white work, but I love using my black pencils. Its a kind of softer look.


I'm using the same technique I always do, but I'm noticing it comes out looking a little different with this new paper (Fabriano Artistico Hot Press) than other work I've done with Stonehenge. Gradations are a little smoother, and less grainy. I'm liking it!

I've updated my etsy shop listings for house portrait commissions, with the new samples, and a slight adjustment in prices. As always, if you have a custom size or shape that I don't have listed, or would like to add people, or do multiple buildings in one portrait, I'm happy to do that for you. Please email me or send me a 'convo' on etsy and we can talk about what you'd like.



No comments: