Phew. What made me decide to do this, I can't remember.
This is about 4,000 layers of Polychromos and Prismacolors.
Its a Chinese floral design. The original reference is darker and more "contrast-y", but I muted it some so it would 'stay back'.
This is what it looked like before I added the dark. Its pretty, but spotty. It needed the dark to tie it all together, to make a unified background that won't fight with the main subject matter.
Now its onto the stars of the show.
Update: about 2 minutes after posting this I decided it needed more color after all, so am adding another layer. So make that 4,001 layers.
Update to the update:
Here is layer 4,001. Prismacolor Peacock Blue. I think that does the trick.