Friday, February 17, 2012

I am a yam.

"I am a yam. I am." © Paula Pertile
(click to see it larger)

Well no, not me. The yam in the picture, silly.

This is a piece to test an idea. I like to draw food. And clouds. And I like to label things. So I thought well let's see what would happen if I did them all in one picture. I also like to draw things floating. So I think this is very "me".
The next one will be a further exploration of the idea, and a bigger piece.
This is 5 x7, Polychromos on Stonehenge.

Why a yam? Why not. A good while back I said I wanted to do a "Pantry" series. I still do. And I figure that if I do, I should include a little bit of everything - not just fancy pies and tarts or whathaveyou. I have a sort of fascination with root vegetables anyway (I think its those stringy root bits going all which-way), and the colors are delicious, so I thought I'd start with something rather plain, like this little yam. It aged a bit in between the time I bought it, and the time I actually got around to drawing it, so it developed some character. But that made it more interesting.

What's next? Not telling. You'll be surprised.

4 comments:

CC said...

Damn nice Yam, Ma'am! :~)

OXO, Carolyn

Rose Altom said...

I love an artist who has fun with their work! Great yam!

Teresa Mallen said...

Very you indeed Paula!!!! A wonderful start to a fascinating series. Waiting to be surprised by what is next... :-)

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

I just ate a yam, so I'm especially liking this...makes me think my day has a kind of theme to it ;)
This yam is SWEET!