Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Palate cleanser


Sometimes, in between 'real' jobs, I do something like this. Its kind of like a nice lemon sorbet between the fish and meat courses. It lets the mind rest a bit from doing representational art, and is more meditative and intuitive. Its nice to still be 'coloring', but not have the pressure of having to create something specific, or be so exacting.

This is all Polychromos on Stonehenge.

I've ordered some Fabriano Artistico hot press paper which should be here any minute. I'm anxious to try it out (can't believe I never have before.) I like that it can take paint, but also seems to be a favorite for colored pencils. And it works on a light box.

And now I'm in the mood for lemon sorbet. (I doubt the ice cream truck guy has any.) Oh well.

4 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

I love the analogy to a sorbet - you're so right, and it's a good reminder to just enjoy mark-making for relaxation with no pressure. Nice post - thanks. x

Pattie Wall said...

Sometimes I feel like a saw blade spinning in the air, ready to be pressed down into the wood to make something happen...it's nice to be in the air and just spin a bit. I like your sorbet analogy, as well.

Jennifer Rose said...

i really like the Artistico paper, but I have noticed that it can be a little harder to get fine lines if you need to on it

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea to just play and relax. And who knows, it could end up being an inspiration for something else...you know how one idea always leads to another.
I bought the Faber-Castell pencils you recommended and absolutely LOVE them! They do keep their point better, yet they are softer than Prismacolor pencils and give much smoother coverage with less uneven tones. Thank you for the tip about them!
XO Diane