Sunday, January 16, 2011

A trip in the way way way back art machine

I was looking for some old art on CDs (and cursing myself for labeling so many with cryptic things like "Misc. Art 1" or "More art"). So not helpful. And I never did find what I was looking for.

What I did find however were these old pencil drawings I did way back when. I'd forgotten about these. Movie stars. Why? I would never even think of spending the time on this subject now. How we change.

But when these were new, I was pretty proud of them. These were done "pre-art school". I distinctly remember doing them on terrible paper with no tooth, and trying to get most of the drawing done with one HB pencil, and maybe a 2B for the darks. In short, I had no idea what I was doing, except that I had a good eye and liked to render.







I did quite a few more of these, and some private commissions. One lady had an old old old faded and damaged photo of her late husband from WWI and I 'fixed it up' in a nice drawing for her. Other people had me do copies of various photos of all sorts of people and things. My parents were gifted with several pieces of Bogart, the Kennedys, other sundry subjects - until my mother politely asked me one day to not give her anymore because she didn't know where she was going to put them. I think it was shortly after that that I put the pencils away in favor of - not sure what. I think that's about when I started art school, so I was on to bigger and better things anyway. Or at least different.

Funny though - I still like to render things. Maybe I haven't changed that much after all.

(top to bottom, in case you don't know who they are: Marlon Brando, James Cagney, Al Pacino as Serpico, Marilyn, Marilyn again, and James Dean.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I do love graphite drawings. Of all the mediums in the world, nothing can replace the pencil. Period. I'd love to see some new graphite work of yours! I admire your artistry and attention to detail.

black bear cabin said...

they may be old and not on the best materials, but i think they are fabulous, and a nice body of work :)

Jenny said...

Wonderful!

We share this in common - I too began my artistic whims by doing renderings of famous people ... my favorite was Mark Twain. :)

I agree with Katherine - would love to see recent ones, too!