Sunday, December 05, 2010

Christmas picture books

At Christmas time I always pull out all of my holiday picture books and 'read' them (look at the pictures) in bed at night. Really.

Thought I'd share a few with you.

I love Peter Collingon's work. He does wordless picture books.




© Peter Collington

A Small Miracle is really moving - about an old woman who is alone and the nativity scene characters who befriend and help her.




© Peter Collington

On Christmas Eve is about how Santa delivers presents to a girl who doesn't have a chimney for him to come down.

His books are quiet and full of detail and really draw you in. I just love his painting style (gouache maybe?).

I have a couple more that aren't Christmas, but worth mentioning.





© Peter Collington

The Tooth Fairy is about what you'd expect it to be about - but its also very not what you would expect. The whole process the fairy goes through to leave the coin under the pillow, then also what she does with the tooth are really neat.


© Peter Collington

Clever Cat is hilarious - about a cat who gets a job to support himself when his family falls a bit short. I know I've suggested that very thing to mine on more than one occasion, but so far, no takers. ** This one isn't wordless like the others, just fyi.


3 comments:

Patti said...

Just ordered the Clever Cat. The closest I've gotten to getting my felines employed is to be used for reference. Thanks for the great recommendation.

black bear cabin said...

I absolutely LOVE Christmas picture books (or any picture books for that matter). I worked in a bookstore for years, and I have my own collection, but now that i have a four year old, you can imagine how many we have in this house! I think i get more excited about them than she does :) Enjoy!

Sam said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. I hadn't heard of any of these before, but they look really fun.