Monday, May 10, 2010

Art Limbo


This is a piece from way back when, sometime before computers, when I was doing a lot of black and white stippling of things. Ah, the memories of putting in hundreds of hours on an architectural rendering that was all little teeny tiny dots. Fast forward to NOW, and not all that much has changed, except now I don't do 'dots' so much as little teeny tiny circles with colored pencils.

Looking ahead, I don't see things changing too much for me. This is how I work, like it or not. I'm just taking stock of where I am, and where I want to go, art and career-wise. I'm in one of those weird "what's it all about, Alfie?" moods. Art Limbo. It seems like most of the illustrators I know are having to juggle more than one (or two or three) 'sides' of themselves in order to make ends meet. Just doing children's books alone isn't always enough anymore. Art licensing takes a 'day job' to keep one afloat until things get rolling. People are teaching, doing workshops, selling in galleries and art fairs, doing online selling (etsy, etc.), selling in shops, doing ebay, and all of that. Illustrators and fine artists who are also 'crafty' are doing that as well (like me with the knitting, which I've stopped for now because it was just one thing too many).

Not sure where I'm going with this. Just venting.



This piece got reworked (the wine glasses disappeared, and grass was added) and became a greeting card for NobleWorks a ways back. But this is kind of how I feel right now - I like all the costumes, but can't wear them all at the same time, you know?

6 comments:

Marion Eldridge said...

I hear ya, Paula. It's so much to balance and very difficult to focus on just one area these days. Very hard to keep up and can put somebody in that "what's it all about" state of mind, for sure. Well said. But, you are certainly doing a great job on many fronts!

CC said...

You are definitely NOT alone, my dear.

One day at a time. I think its very important to
do what you enjoy.

Virginia said...

Paula, Every person who has seen Cafe Witch loves it and wants it. Perhaps you could do a witch series...witch at the doctor...witch at hair salon...witch in bed with hubby...and either sell etsy prints or try to get them licensed. They would make cute refrigerator magnets, too...and birthday cards...etc. Just a thought...she's too good a character to waste on just my wall. Gin

Gunilla Byström said...

Oh, I love that scene! Love costumes too :)

Constance McLennan said...

I love all these little royal people. Good luck with the licensing.

Janet Pantry said...

'Art Limbo' is an excellent phrase, know what you mean! I'm in that state too but for different reasons. Sounds like you are in a good place with many options. Taking stock is a very useful exercise, Paula, don't rush it. Go with the flow, listen to your heart and it will bring you through ;)