Sunday, February 22, 2015

Soft Preztel Roll

Soft Pretzel Roll  8" x 10"  colored pencils on Strathmore bristol

Not a lot of art to talk about this week. I was drawn (pun intended) to this soft pretzel roll in the store for some reason. I like the pattern of the 'cuts' on top, and the rich color of the crust. I'd never eaten one of these before, or even seen them I don't think. Its nice and bready and pretzely, and I liked it.

There's something so comforting about nice bread, especially at this time of year. Although here in California we're having Spring already, with sun and lawns being mowed and yard chores in full swing. Everywhere else people are snowed in, its crazy.

One other thing I'll mention with this piece is that I've gone back to Strathmore bristol, just because I have a lot of it, in pads, laying around. One day I thought "why did I stop using this?" and so did a piece on it and was happy with the result. I don't know. Somewhere along the line, when I decided to get 'serious' about my colored pencil work, I started exploring other papers, thinking the key to doing a good piece lay in the paper choice. I'm glad I discovered Stonehenge and Fabriano Artistico, and will still use them when there's something particular I want to do that requires one of their special characteristics. But for now, I'm perfectly happy with this Strathmore bristol - 300 Series.

I put prints of this in the shop, in different sizes.

I'm also working on more cat drawings. { meow }

1 comment:

Melissa B. Tubbs said...

Love this pretzel roll Paula!I'm also loving your cat series. You do terrific work!