Sunday, February 02, 2014

A loaded Sunday

As I'm writing this, we have just learned that the actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment of a drug overdose (with the needle still stuck in his arm); Woody Allen's daughter is revealing that he molested her when she was a child; everyone but me is watching (or getting ready to watch) the Super Bowl; and we here in California are watching the skies for rain, any rain, anything at all, to relieve this drought, and are all not washing or flushing or watering or doing anything with water that isn't absolutely necessary.

LIFE.

I could write a lot about all of those things, but don't really feel like it, and besides, I have stuff to do.
So I will just share some art instead.


This is a fun little piece I just did for a client. It will be a logo for a quilt shop. 




I used all kinds of colored pencils for this - I started with Coloursofts for the wood grain, then used Polychromos and Pablos for the rest of it. I had to strike a balance between 'realistic' and 'graphic', since it will be shrunk down small for a logo, as well as used larger on tags, and some signage. 




It was super fun to do! No reference, really (well, I have quilt books for ideas). 
I made it all up out of my head. 




And here is an update on the paint tubes. I'm really enjoying this one too. The colors are soooo subtle - just warm and cool greys, really, in the tubes and their labels. I started with a warm and cool grey value drawing, then added some Ivory and Cream to the labels, and Sky Blue to the tubes (all Polychromos). 





I'm going to leave off all the type (there's a lot!) and just have these be blank. Its not that I'm afraid of doing type (I can do it, and actually love letters) but I think these make more of a statement this way. I think they look like they're either taking a bow or doing a curtain call, or maybe just chatting. They seem almost animated, don't they?

No comments: